Scorpions can be frightening to deal with and may even present medical dangers if you get stung by this pest. To understand all about scorpions and the best way to kill scorpions, reach out to Houston pest control and follow our effective prevention tips below.
The Habits And Behaviors Of Scorpions In Houston
There are several types of scorpions in Texas; in fact, around twenty different types of scorpions live in the state. However, only one specific scorpion species is commonly seen in Houston: the striped bark scorpion.
Striped bark scorpions are medium-sized and typically pale yellow with two dark bands that cross their back. They also have a darker triangular patch on the back of their head. This scorpion prefers to stay in cooler, more moist environments; they are nocturnal and gravitate to cracks or crevices that tend to be darker and collect water.
The Symptoms Of A Scorpion's Sting
While a scorpion’s sting is not typically fatal, especially if you seek immediate medical attention after being stung, it can be pretty painful and cause many unpleasant symptoms. A sting from the striped bark scorpion may also produce symptoms similar to these listed below:
- Pain, tingling, or numbness at the sting site
- Difficulty breathing or swallowing
- Muscle twitching
- Unusual head, neck, and eye movements
- Accelerated heart rate
- High blood pressure
It is crucial to get rid of scorpions around your home if you want to reduce your chances of receiving a sting and these unpleasant symptoms. And remember, always seek immediate medical attention if you have been stung by any scorpion.
Simple And Effective Scorpion Prevention Tips For Around Your Home
If you want to know how to keep scorpions away you can follow these prevention tips to keep scorpions from ever invading your home:
- Seal up cracks and gaps around your home’s windows, doors, and foundation. This stops scorpions from coming inside, searching for shelter and moist areas. Also, utilize sturdy window and door screens, and door sweeps to keep scorpions out.
- Address moisture issues around your home, including leaks inside and drainage issues on your property. Pools of water will always attract scorpions, so eliminating them can help prevent this pest from coming near your home.
- Trim back the grass in your yard and remove debris like fallen branches and piles of wood or rotting leaves. Scorpions love moist, dark places to hide out, so eliminating these areas makes your yard overall less desirable.
- Work to fix other pest issues around your home, such as cricket infestations as scorpions are drawn to these as food. You can work with the All-Safe Pest & Termite professionals to ensure that any pest prey invasion is managed.
Contact The Pros For Total Scorpion Control For Your Home
The best way to kill scorpions that invade your home and get rid of scorpions for good is to contact our professionals at All-Safe Pest & Termite. Not only do our specialists know all about scorpions and the best way to remove this pest, but they can also help you understand how to keep scorpions away and safely remove an infestation of this pest. Contact All-Safe Pest & Termite at the first sign of scorpions on your property to benefit from quick, effective total scorpion control.