Homeowners in Houston need to be aware of the trouble that rodents can bring to their homes. There are different types of rodents, and each type has its way of being a nuisance. Generally, rodents are the agents of destruction at home and also spread diseases by contaminating food. When you combine all these issues, your instincts should tell you to reduce the risk of rodent infestation by contacting All-Safe Pest & Termite, providers of dependable pest control in Houston. Today, we will look at the common rodents you can come across, their dangers, and how to control them. Let's begin.
Common Types Of Home-Invading Rodents In Houston
Different kinds of rodents can storm into your home in search of water, food, and shelter. Below is a list of common home-invading rodents:
- House Mouse: These are house rodents that are small, gray-brown, and grow to between 2 and 7 inches in length. It has large ears and a long tail. Unsurprisingly, they prefer to nest in dark, secluded areas like basements and attics.
- Norway Rat: Norway rats grow to about 16-inches. They are gray or brown, with small eyes and blunt noses. They love to burrow under concrete slabs and into garbage piles.
- Roof Rats: These rodents live in colonies in elevated areas like trees and roofs, just as their name suggests.
- Deer mice: Their name comes from the fact that they have brown and white fur that resembles deer. These tiny mice grow to between 3 and 4 inches in length and have large ears and a long tail. They nest in fence posts, log pipes, tree hollows, and other old wooden structures like cabins, barns, and sheds.
- Squirrels: They are small gray, brown, or red, with bushy tails. They grow to between 15 and 20 inches long. They tend to dig up gardens, chew holes and build nests in eaves.
- Gophers: Gophers are 5 to 14 inches long rodents that burrow underground. They are brown or black with furry tails. Gophers dig holes in gardens, and they tunnel underground.
These are some of the most common rodent species you will encounter in Houston. If you discover an infestation of one of these rodents, contact the rodent control experts at All-Safe Pest & Termite.
Rodents Can Spread Disease And Damage Property
Homeowners fear rodent infestations because of the damage they inflict on properties and the health risks they bring to house occupants. In addition, these pests can put you in the hospital because they are carriers of the following diseases: hantavirus, lymphocytic choriomeningitis (LCMV), leptospirosis, Salmonella, and Tularemia. These diseases usually spread through their feces or indirectly through other pests like fleas.
Regarding property damage, rodents like gophers can dig up holes in your garden, destroying the landscape and crops. In addition, rodents that burrow outside can destroy underground irrigation utilities like the sprinkler system and drainage.
Traps Won't Get Rid Of The Entire Rodent Infestation
When you think about effective rodent control, most people who like DIY methods will immediately select glue traps, traditional snaps, or poison. If you have a history of using these traps, you will agree that they are ineffective. One of the significant downfalls of traps is that they need attention. Let's imagine that you lay several traps in your basement. You will have to conduct routine checks to ensure the bait is intact and to see if any rodent has been caught. This process is a burden if you have a large premise with several structures. So, what is the best approach for rodent control?
The Best Way To Get Rid Of Rodents And Keep Them Out
Contacting a professional rodent control company like All-Safe Pest & Termite will help you get effective solutions to remove pests from our property. Professionals will identify the rodent entry points, find their food cache and nesting areas, and remove them from the walls of your house without damaging your property. An expert crew will also help identify the root cause of the rodent infestation in your home to prevent it from causing another invasion.
Different rodents like house mice, Norway rats, deer mice, and gophers invade homes and cause many problems. In addition, rodents are carriers of diseases like LCMV and Salmonella. Other rodents, like gophers, destroy plants and lawns, and you cannot rely on traps to get rid of these pests. If you want to control the number of pests on your property, reach out to the experts at All-Safe Pest & Termite and get a team of professionals who provide continuous protection against all types of rodents and other pests. Call our office today, and let's deal with your rodent problem with custom solutions.