Ants can be a significant problem on your Frisco property, especially when they are free to expand and grow out of control. Effective ant control starts with understanding basic ant habits and employing the help of the professionals at All-Safe Pest & Termite.
Common Area Ants
There are several different ant species that you may commonly encounter in the Frisco area. While Texas is home to more than 250 ant species, the ones below tend to cause the most problems for homeowners:
- Carpenter Ants: These large ants prefer nesting in wooden structures, which can seriously compromise your home’s integrity if a colony grows large enough.
- Fire Ants: Bright red in color, fire ants are aggressive and can typically be found nesting outdoors. They bite and attack in swarms, which can be quite dangerous.
- Little Black Ants: Small with dark black bodies, this ant species loves to hide out in the small cracks and gaps around your home.
- Odorous House Ants: This ant is either dark brown in black or color and leaves an unpleasant smell that worsens when workers are killed.
- Argentine Ants: This ant is somewhat invasive with brown or black bodies and loves to live in damp areas like the kitchen or bathrooms.
Once you recognize an ant infestation in your home, it is likely too late to get rid of the pests yourself. Most colonies are much larger than you can see with your eyes, especially if the nests extend far underground in your property or throughout the internal structures of your home. These extended colonies also make it difficult for you to eliminate every ant in your home since they are in such hard-to-reach areas.
Additionally, most over-the-counter (OTC) ant sprays and traps that you can buy won’t be able to get rid of an entire infestation due to location limitations, and they may be potentially dangerous depending on how toxic the spray is.
Ant Prevention Tips
Ant prevention can prove to be difficult, but employing some of these prevention tips along with ongoing assistance from All-Safe, you can keep this pest away from your home:
- Keep your home free of clutter and piles of clothing or discarded items. Ants will often hide under these cluttered areas in between trips to and from their nests. It would help if you also made an effort to deep clean under heavy appliances and other untouched areas, as these provide accessible respites for ants.
- Make sure that all food waste and trash are adequately sealed and promptly disposed of. Not only does the aroma of food and trash attract ants to your property, leaving these items out will only provide an easy food source to the pest. You should also clean up food and liquid spills as soon as possible, quickly store leftover food, and refrain from leaving dirty dishes out.
- Seal up all potential entry points in your home, including gaps or cracks in windows and doors. You may also want to invest in window and door screens to seal up your home from the outdoors fully.
- Fix up any leaks or moisture issues inside or outside your home, as these are significant attractors in drawing ants to your property.
Expert Ant Control
All-Safe Pest & Termite’s ant control program is a proven three-step process that thoroughly evaluates the level of your home’s infestation and provides effective, customized solutions that help treat the problem entirely. Contact us today for more ant control advice and assistance.