If you are a Texas resident, you are probably familiar with scorpions. While there are different kinds of scorpions in our area, the most common is the striped bark scorpion. In comparison, many of the scorpions in Texas prefer the hot heat, striped bark scorpions like cool and moist areas. As their name suggests, they can often be found behind tree bark and under rocks and other shaded areas.
Keep reading if you want to learn more about scorpions and Fort Worth pest control!
What Do Striped Bark Scorpions Look Like?
The following characteristics can identify the striped bark scorpion:
- Size: 2 to 3 inches long
- Body: Eight legs, pair of claws, and a segmented “tail” that curves up and ends in a stinger
- Coloring: Yellow or tan with two wide, black stripes on their abdomen-under ultraviolet light, they will glow
As you will learn below, this species is considered dangerous, so if you see striped bark scorpions on your property, it is best to contact professionals for assistance with handling them.
How Dangerous Is A Striped Bark Scorpion Sting?
Striped bark scorpions can deliver a painful sting that results in swelling and itching. However, more severe symptoms such as tingling or numbness, muscle twitching, difficulty breathing, drooling, vomiting, perspirations, and a quickened heart rate may occur depending on the person.
While this species is among the dangerous scorpions, a sting will likely not result in fatality. In the United States, there have only been four deaths caused by scorpions in the past eleven years. However, it is always best to seek medical attention when stung, dangerous scorpion or not.
How Do I Safely Get Rid Of Scorpions On My Property?
Different scorpions may require a different approach, so the safest and most effective way to eliminate them is with professional assistance. For the best Fort Worth pest control, contact us at All-Safe Pest & Termite.
Our knowledgeable and experienced technicians can identify what scorpion species you are dealing with, why they are attracted to your property, and how they get inside. Knowing this information is essential to keeping scorpions out permanently.
Hear more about what we can do for your pest problems by giving us a call at All-Safe Pest & Termite.
How Do I Keep Scorpions Away From My Property?
Once you have received professional pest control services to remove scorpions from your property, you will probably want to do everything you can to keep them from returning. Our experts recommend doing the following to help reduce the factors that attract this pest:
- Clear gutters, fix leaks, and use dehumidifiers to help reduce moisture around your home. Areas like crawl spaces, cellars, garages, basements, bathrooms, and kitchens are familiar places for high humidity, so you should make sure they have proper ventilation.
- Install screens, weather stripping, and door sweeps on exterior windows and doors—seal cracks and crevices around your home’s foundation and exterior walls to remove potential entry points.
- Clear away woodpiles, dead trees, yard debris, and branches touching your home to help make your property less attractive to scorpions. You should also remove clutter and keep the interior of your home organized to reduce hiding places.
If you are still seeing scorpions on your property, you should give us a call at All-Safe Pest & Termite for assistance with scorpions in Texas.