Flies feel like they're everywhere in Katy; they are outside, buzzing around at picnics, they show up indoors, flying around food you left on the counter for maybe 15 minutes (or a few days). You’ve probably never taken the time, but if you look closely, there are different species of flies that we deal with here in Katy. Three of the main ones are:
- House flies: House flies are about ¼ inch long and are gray in color. If you look closely, they are slightly hairy, and they are easily distinguished by their big red eyes.
- Fruit flies: Fruit flies are tiny flies. They are tan to brown with feathery antenna and translucent wings. They are more commonly found in the summertime, and frequent areas where produce is stored, like kitchen counters.
- Blowflies: Blow flies are a common pest for Katy homes. They are larger than house flies, with a shiny, metallic appearance. They can be blue, green-gold, or black in color. They are easily distinguished by the telltale buzzing noise they make while flying.
Whatever species of fly is invading your home, don’t let it hang around. For all your fly control and prevention needs, contact us at All-Safe Pest & Termite and let us keep your Katy home protected.
Why Do I Have A Fly Problem?
With as frequently as we see flies in our area, you may assume the reason you have a fly problem is simply because you live in Texas. And while our climate is suitable for flies, they don’t have to be a fact of life. There are probably simple reasons that you have a fly problem. Here are a few reasons you may have a fly problem around your Katy home:
- There is easy access to your home. You can correct this by repairing torn screens, fixing or replacing damaged weather stripping, and sealing cracks and crevices in your walls and foundation.
- The produce you purchased from the store had fruit fly eggs or larvae. Take care to inspect all fresh produce before you bring it inside.
- There is decaying organic material around your home. This is particularly attractive to blowflies. Clean up dog waste, dispose of trash in bins with sealed lids, and keep your yard well maintained. A large, sudden blowfly infestation may indicate the presence of a dead animal somewhere in your home.
Fly control is a matter of keeping your home clean, storing food properly, and eliminating access to your home.
Professional Fly Control Options
If you are dealing with a fly infestation, the best thing you can do is get professional help from a licensed pest control company like All-Safe Pest & Termite. It may not seem like a big deal to have flies buzzing around, but these pests can be more than a nuisance; they can be dangerous. While they don’t bite, flies are filthy pests. Flies feed on all different types of decaying matter, and whatever they land on outside, they bring inside with them. They can spread a variety of diseases, including typhoid, salmonellosis, and tuberculosis.
At All-Safe Pest & Termite, we understand how to deal with an annoying and potentially dangerous fly infestation. Since the 1980s, our residential pest control plans have been protecting homes in Katy and the surrounding area from pests like flies. We develop a custom plan for your home that is based on the results of a thorough inspection. After our initial service, we will continue with routine, regularly scheduled follow-up treatments around the exterior of your home, so you can rest assured that your home and family are protected from pests like flies and the issues they can cause.