Many ant species call Texas home, the most common being carpenter ants, fire ants, odorous house ants, and acrobat ants. Most ant species are a nuisance, but some are downright dangerous.
- Carpenter Ants: The largest species in the United States ranges between 1/4 of an inch to ½ an inch. They are usually red or black, or a combination of the two, and workers have powerful mandibles, which they use to chew through wood.
- Fire Ants: Are 1/8 to 3/8 of an inch long, usually a dark red, and are known for their painful stings.
- Odorous House Ants: Between 1/16 to 1/8 inch long, uniformly colored black or brown, and are known to omit a rotten smell when crushed.
- Acrobat Ants: Wii be 1/8 of an inch long, light brown color, and although they can sting, they rarely do.
While only some ant species are dangerous, none are welcome in any Plano homes. As a resident, you should know what to do about this pest if you have an infestation.
Why It's Difficult To Get Rid Of Ants
Ant infestations are hard to get rid of on your own for several reasons, such as the colony's size, where they nest, and the methods available to homeowners.
- Colony Size: Ants often live in large colonies made up of thousands of individuals. This is why it is difficult to get rid of an entire infestation at once. Also, some colonies have multiple queens that can disperse and regroup, making new colonies.
- Location: Colonies can nest in hard-to-reach places because this pest is so small they can squeeze through tiny cracks and crevices in your home's foundation.
- Available Methods: Over-the-counter (OTC) ant sprays and traps aren't strong enough to eliminate entire infestations. So while these products might appear to kill many ants, there are hundreds more you can't see that are still thriving. Plus, these products can be dangerous if misused, which many homeowners shouldn't risk, especially if there are children and pets on the property.
Instead of wasting time, money, and effort trying to get rid of an ant infestation on your own, you should call in trusted professionals for quick and effective solutions.
Professional Ant Control Programs
At All-Safe Pest & Termite, we have the ant control treatments that work. Our control process includes a thorough inspection by one of our qualified technicians to identify conducive conditions and ant activity. After inspection, your technician will treat active colonies using a liquid residual product to kill ants inside and baits that act as a preventative measure. Once your home is treated, we won't leave you hanging. We will help you find the right ongoing pest control services for you and your budget.
Call us today to learn more about our ant control services and how you can get started!
Ant Prevention Tips
When it comes to the different ant species that live in the Plano area, there are several prevention tips you can utilize to make your property less appealing:
- Remove food sources by cleaning up food debris from eating areas, storing food in air-tight containers, rinse out cans and bottles before recycling, and regularly removing garbage.
- Address any moisture issues such as leaks and replace water-damaged wood.
- Seal any potential entry points such as cracks in the foundation, exterior walls, and along the roofline.
- Cut back trees and foliage so they are not touching your home.
Prevention of ants can prove challenging, but with the tips above and ongoing assistance from All-Safe Pest & Termite, you can have an ant-free home.