Wasps and hornets belong to the same family of insects - Vespidae. Hornets are a type of wasp, and they're usually larger with brighter colors.
Other wasps are more slender with duller colors. Both hornets and wasps can sting humans, and their stings can be quite painful. These stings can even be life-threatening if you're allergic to their venom.
Should you be unfortunate enough to come across a wasp or hornet on your Houston property, it's best not to try and kill it yourself. These insects are swift and can be aggressive if they feel threatened. Call pest control in Houston to safely remove these pests from your property.
Common Types Of Wasps And Hornets That Invade Houston Yards
Several different types of wasps and hornets are common in the Houston area. Some of the most common include:
- The Bald-Faced Hornet: This species is black and white with a large, round body. They build their nests in trees and shrubs, and they're known for being aggressive.
- Paper wasp: These wasps are brown or black with yellow stripes. They build their nests under the eaves of houses or in trees and shrubs.
- Yellow jacket: These wasps are black and yellow with a striped abdomen. They're very aggressive, and they build their nests both in the ground and above ground.
- Cicada killers: As their name suggests, these wasps kill cicadas. They're large wasps with reddish-brown and black stripes. They build their nests in the ground.
- Mud daubers: As their name suggests, these wasps build their nests out of mud. They're black or blue with a slender body.
Each type of wasp or hornet has its unique appearance and behavior. And each one is capable of delivering a painful sting.
So, the next time you come across a black hornet wasp in your Houston yard, don't try to kill it yourself. Just call pest control, and they'll take care of it for you. It's the safest way to deal with these potentially dangerous pests.
The Many Problems A Wasp Infestation Can Create In Your Yard
A wasp infestation can cause all sorts of problems in your yard. Here are just a few of the issues you may face:
- Wasps will build their nests in trees, shrubs, and under the eaves of your house. This can damage your landscaping and home.
- Their stings can be painful, and some people are allergic to their venom. A sting can even be life-threatening for those who are allergic.
- Wasps will eat other insects, which can be beneficial, but they will also eat the fruits and vegetables in your garden.
- Wasps can be a real nuisance, and they can pose a danger to you and your family.
Call pest control for risk-free wasp removal if you have wasps on your property. It's the best way to keep you and your family safe from these dangerous pests.
Five Naturally Effective Hornet And Wasp Prevention Tips
Hornets and wasps are pesky critters that nobody wants around. Here are five wasp prevention tips to help keep them away:
- Plant mint, citronella, or lemon balm near your doors and windows. These plants will deter hornets and wasps.
- Keep sweet fruits and vegetables covered when you're serving food outside.
- Avoid using perfumes or scented lotions. Sweet smells attract wasps.
- Be sure to clean up any food or drink spills immediately. Food and drinks attract wasps.
- Keep your garbage can lids closed tightly. Wasps are attracted to the smell of garbage.
Observing these simple prevention tips can help keep hornets and wasps away from your property. If you already have a hornet or wasp problem, consult with pest control in Houston for their removal.
Contact The Pros For Complete Wasp Control For Your Yard
The best way to get rid of wasps in Houston is with assistance from professionals. At All-Safe Pest & Termite, we pride ourselves on providing effective and affordable pest control services.
We'll work with you to create a custom treatment plan to address your specific needs. And we'll do whatever it takes to get rid of the wasps on your property.
Don't wait until it's too late. Contact All-Safe Pest & Termite today, and let us help you get rid of those pesky wasps for good. We're here to help you enjoy your yard again, sting-free.