Are there rodents in the attic? It might just be roof rats, one of the several types of rodents that Plano residents might encounter. Roof rats have dark brown to black hair with a lighter color on their underbelly. They are about 12 to 16 inches long, including their tail. This species also has large black eyes, large ears, and a pointed nose.
By reading what the experts have to say below, you can learn more about roof rats, such as what dangers they cause, how to remove them and prevent them from coming back again.
How To Tell If It's Roof Rats On Your Plano Property
If there are rodents in the attic, there is a good chance you are dealing with roof rats. From their name, you can probably guess that this species can get into a house through the roofline. This is because roof rats are agile and good at climbing.
The Dangers Roof Rats Bring To Plano Properties
Like other rodents in Texas, Roof rats are dangerous due to the diseases they spread and the damage they can cause. Roof rats are responsible for the following dangers on residential properties:
- Spreading diseases like leptospirosis, rat-bite fever, tularemia, and salmonellosis.
- Spreading parasites like fleas, ticks, and mites.
- Triggering asthma and allergies with shed fur, droppings, and stirred-up dust.
- Contaminating food with waste and saliva.
- Damaging the structure and cosmetics of a home.
- Causing fire and flood hazards when they chew through wires and pipes.
To keep you and your family safe from roof rats and the dangers that come with them, turn to the pest control experts for help.
The Safest Way To Get Rid Of Roof Rats On Your Plano Property
Trying to get rid of rodents on your own is not only ineffective but can be dangerous. This is because store-bought traps and baits only eliminate one or two of these critters and not an entire infestation.
Instead, you can rely on the All-Safe Pest & Termite experts to get rid of rodents from your Plano property. We are experienced in handling all types of rodents, including roof rats.
Our rodent control services include a thorough inspection for signs of an infestation and identifying what species you are dealing with. We will also identify possible entry points and any conducive conditions attracting rodents. The initial service after the inspection will consist of installing traps on the interior of your home and exterior if needed. Bait stations will be placed outside where this pest is most active. We will also help seal any entry points we find during our inspection using products like copper mesh and metal flashing. One week after the initial service, we will return to check traps and bait stations.
Give us a call today at All-Safe Pest & Termite to assist with roof rats and other rodents in Texas.
Effective Prevention Tips To Keep Rats From Returning In Plano
While our team at All-Safe Pest & Termite can help to prevent roof rats from coming back, you will also need to implement the following tips for the best results:
- Address moisture issues like leaks.
- Store food in air-tight containers.
- Regularly clean eating areas to remove food debris.
- Keep your home decluttered and organized.
- Continue to inspect and repair entry points in the foundation, exterior walls, and roofline of your home.
- Keep your yard maintained.
- Remove fallen fruit and bird feeders from your property.
Don't forget to call us at All-Safe Pest & Termite!