There are several types of cockroaches in Texas, including oriental cockroaches. This species is also commonly known as water bugs because they can sometimes come out of drains.
Keep reading to learn more about oriental cockroaches and pest control in Houston!
What Do Oriental Cockroaches Look Like?
Oriental cockroaches have a distinctive look compared to the other types of cockroaches in Texas. This species has a shiny, smooth body that is dark brown or black. They are about 1 to 1 ¼ inches long. Although they do have wings, they are not able to fly.
Is It Dangerous To Have Water Bugs In My Home?
Having any cockroach in your Houston home is dangerous as it spreads disease, triggers allergies and asthma, and can contaminate everything they touch. This pest can also cause damage to the packaging, books, furniture, and other items.
The presence of oriental cockroaches can indicate a moisture problem, which can cause other health concerns, including mold.
If you see any signs of this pest in your home, you should contact experts immediately for assistance.
How Can I Prevent Water Bugs In My Home?
You should know about the causes of cockroaches to prevent them from happening in your Houston home. Below is a list of the causes of cockroaches and what steps you can take to remove or reduce them:
- From the nickname “water bugs,” you can probably infer that oriental cockroaches are attracted to moisture. To reduce moisture on your property, you should fix leaking pipes and faucets, clear gutters, ensure your home has proper ventilation, use dehumidifiers, and keep the area around your foundation clear of organic debris.
- Like other cockroaches, these species are scavengers, and residential properties provide many options. You can reduce food sources by sweeping and vacuuming regularly, storing food in air-tight containers, using garbage cans with tight-fitting lids, and keeping your yard clear of fallen fruit.
- Easy access is another factor that can attract pests into your home. To prevent water bugs, you should seal cracks in the foundation and exterior wall of your home, fill in gaps around pipes and drains, and replace any damaged or missing screens.
How Do I Get Rid Of Oriental Cockroaches?
If you believe you have oriental cockroaches in your home, don’t wait to contact us at All-Safe Pest & Termite. We offer specialty cockroach control treatments for the most common species in our area, including oriental cockroaches. The control process for this pest includes the following:
- One of our knowledgeable technicians performs a thorough inspection to identify the species, where they are entering the house, and conducive conditions such as leaks, attic clutter, and garbage attracting the pest.
- Your technician will develop a control strategy to remove the infestation effectively using inspection findings. For the initial service, treatments focus on high moisture areas where we will primarily use a dust product. Depending on your home’s needs, we may also use liquid or baiting and treat the attic if there is any activity.
- Cockroaches often require more than the initial treatment due to their quick reproduction rate. During the follow-up treatment, your technician will use a residual product and recommend removing conducive conditions identified during the inspection to help prevent future infestations.
Give us a call today at All-Safe Pest & Termite to learn more about Pest Control in Houston and how we can help with oriental cockroaches or any other species you might be invading.