If you're an 'outdoorsy' person, then you're probably quite familiar with outdoor critters that can put a damper on being outside, and ticks are one of those critters. Not only do they spread harmful diseases, but did you know that vector ticks actually mate while on a host's body?
If that's not scary enough, imagine an infestation of these pests in your home or yard. Fortunately, at All-Safe Pest & Termite, we're your local Fort Worth Pest Control experts, and we're here to help protect your home from these invasive pests.
Common Types Of Ticks Found In Fort Worth
There are around 90 species of ticks in the U.S., but some of the more common ones found in the Fort Worth area include the lone star tick, black-legged deer tick, and American dog tick. Let's dig a little deeper into each one.
- Lone star ticks are reddish-brown, and the difference between males and females is that females have a distinctive white dot in the middle of their backs. This tick is one of the more aggressive species.
- Black-legged deer ticks are an orangish-brown color with dark legs and a black mark on their backs. These particular ticks have a two-year life cycle.
- American dog ticks have dark brown bodies with distinctive white patterns on their backsides. As their name suggests, these ticks prefer to feed on domestic dogs.
These are a few of the different types of ticks in Fort Worth that you may come into contact with. Yes, they have similar physical features, but they're all very different and carry different diseases.
Dangerous Diseases Ticks Are Known To Spread
The thing to remember about tick bites is that they don't all transmit diseases, but because ticks are vectors, the likelihood of contracting an illness increases significantly. The good news is that diseases caused by ticks are preventable, but it takes preventive efforts on your part. You can lower your chances of contracting the following diseases spread by ticks with proactive measures.
- Lyme Disease
- Southern Tick Associated Rash Illness
- Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever
- Human Anaplasmosis
Ticks in the Fort Worth area can carry any of these diseases. To avoid contracting these illnesses, call us here at All-Safe Pest & Termite to perform a proper inspection of your property and then treat it for the types of ticks you have.
Five Helpful Tips To Protect Yourself From Tick Bites
When protecting yourself from tick bites, the key is to limit your exposure to them. Here are a few tips to lower your chance of tick bites.
- Keep your grass cut.
- Tuck your pants legs in tall socks when venturing outdoors.
- Always wear insect repellent when out in nature.
- Keep your yard free from outdoor debris and clutter.
- Keep rodents and wildlife away from your property.
Additionally, you want to remember to keep the moisture around your property low and, if you're able, build a fence or some type of barrier between your grass and the grass surrounding your property. These tips will keep ticks at bay, and of course, our tick treatments will eradicate them for good.
The Best Way To Keep Ticks Away From Your Property
The solution to your tick problem is All-Safe Pest & Termite. We offer year-round tick control services and can help with all your pest control needs. Call us today or check out all the services we offer our clients.