While cockroaches might be prehistoric, finding them in Plano, Texas isn’t nearly as interesting as this fact and is actually rather upsetting. While you might know that cockroaches are a problem, many people underestimate just how dangerous they are to human health.
Even though these pests are usually only a couple of inches long and might seem harmless, cockroaches spread dozens of diseases that can hurt humans such as salmonella, E. coli, gastroenteritis, and many more. Along with illness, they can also contaminate food and cause allergic reactions and asthma attacks.
Because they are so dangerous to have in your home, the best way to address cockroach infestations is to focus on prevention. By taking steps to prevent a cockroach infestation from starting, you’ll reduce the chances of putting yourself and your family at risk.
What Do Cockroaches Look Like?
The first step in cockroach prevention is knowing how to identify cockroaches in the first place. There are multiple species, but in general, they are a reddish-brown, black, or tan color, six legs, and a pair of antennae. Their bodies are oval-shaped and often appear almost flat as their wings lie pressed against their backs.
5 Ways To Deter Cockroaches
To help you keep cockroaches away, we’ve put together a list of ways to make your house less attractive to these pests. Some of the most effective methods of cockroach control involve removing underlying factors that attract them, including easy access to food and water.
Here are five of the best ways to make your home less hospitable for cockroaches:
- Cockroaches love a cluttered space, so take time to regularly declutter around your home and property.
- They also thrive in a moisture-rich environment, so fix any leaky plumbing.
- For the same reason, if your home has humidity issues, consider using dehumidifiers.
- As cockroaches are especially attracted to food sources, make sure to keep kitchens clean by sweeping, mopping, and washing dishes regularly.
- Finally, take out indoor trash frequently.
A Few More Cockroach Prevention Tips
After you’ve addressed the core issues that attract cockroaches, you should take a few more steps to keep cockroaches from being able to come inside, such as:
- Repairing broken screens in both doors and windows
- Placing door sweeps and weather stripping around your home
- Filling up cracks and holes in exterior walls that cockroaches often slip through
- Fixing any crevices in the foundation of your home as cockroaches often get in through basements and crawl spaces
- Cleaning drains more often as some species of cockroach can come inside through pipes
What To Do If You Have Cockroaches
If you regularly follow the cockroach prevention methods listed here, you can greatly reduce your odds of an infestation. However, infestations can still happen even if you’re doing everything right. If you are dealing with cockroaches, the safest and most effective way to remove them is with help from All-Safe Pest & Termite.
We have been providing residential pest control in the Plano area for over 30 years, and, as a family-owned and operated company, we value our customers and believe in providing great customer service. To request a free estimate, or learn more about cockroach control options, contact us at (972) 715-1958.